A “Duster” Inhalation Exposure with Drugs Leads to Death
A 23-year-old male patient was brought to the emergency department (ED) by emergency medical services after being found on a train platform unresponsive. A witness had observed the patient inhaling a commercial duster product containing a fluorinated hydrocarbon. The patient was pulseless at the scene and upon arrival to the ED.
What is “duster” and what are the inherent toxicities associated with inhaling these products? A “duster” is a compressed liquid containing single or multiple hydrocarbon containing substances. These hydrocarbons are utilized as a propellant aerosol of gas that is used to remove dust from various surfaces. There are many known hydrocarbon containing household products that are used in various forms as a means of chemical recreation.